what's in my name?

Friday, April 18, 2008

MINETTE… According to the book where my mom got my name, Minette means “Blessed One”, and indeed, it’s true. I have been blessed by God in countless ways. Although I have failed and disappointed God many times because of my pride and disobedience, He is still faithful in giving the desires of my heart.

In 2002, after proudly graduating college from a prestigious university, God humbled me by not giving me any job right away. I thought that my school’s name on my resume would easily get me hired, but I was wrong. While my batch mates were already busy with their work, I was still struggling to apply for mine. I applied in different companies and passed the series of interviews and exams, but for one reason or another, I just couldn’t get a job. I was so frustrated then and ready to give up when God spoke to me. God wanted me to surrender everything to Him… my dreams, my plans, my hope, and my life. He brought me to Jeremiah 29:11 which says “For I know the plans I have for you”, declares the Lord “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". A few weeks after that encounter, God allowed me to be hired in one of the country’s well-known companies without much effort. I was thankful that my prayers have been answered, but pride kept me from being satisfied. I wanted to prove more of myself, I wanted to be accepted. It was then that I decided to pursue my plan to take up another course in the hope of getting a better job after.

In 2007, I graduated from my second course. A couple of months later, I started to review for the licensure exam. God showed me my limitations and He allowed me o see my weaknesses so I can truly depend on Him alone. In December2007, I took the board exam and I find it so hard. Although I prayed and many people prayed for me as well, I still had doubts if I will be able to pass. I know I was relying on myself again and on what are the things that I’ve done for God for Him to let me pass. I was so guilty because He has not been my priority. But God made me realize that He doesn’t need anything from me. He is God with or without me. He loved me yesterday, He loves me today, and He will still love me tomorrow. This reality made me still and rest on God’s promises. God is faithful. Despite of my shortcomings, He still chose to bless me.

On February 2008, the most awaited result was released. Out of the thousands of people who took the exam, only 43% made it and I am so thankful to be one of them. The tendency to become proud of myself was there again but I kept reminding myself over and over again that it’s only by God’s grace that I was able to get through. A blessing that I feel I do not deserve. After that, a lot of people greeted me and celebrated with me. God showed His love for me though these special people who touched my life in many ways. Last March 15, 2008, my family organized a surprise thanksgiving party for me. I didn’t have any clue or hint of what happened, maybe because I was already overwhelmed with God’s blessing and I wasn’t thinking anymore that I still deserve a celebration. When I got home that night, I just found myself stunned in front of my family and friends. Without make-up, without accessories, not dressed-up, plain & simple but well loved and accepted. With all these overwhelming blessings that God has given me, He just had one message. “My child, I love you so much! You have nothing more to prove.” I thank God for His amazing love.

Permalink | 0 Comments